Each month we’re bringing you a different Pilates exercise to practice and focus on, as recommended by one of our Pilates Instructors. This month, Rosie recommends the Abdo Prep.
Abdominal preparations (Abdo Prep) does what it says on the tin! It prepares the abdominal (tummy) muscles for all the other Pilates exercises and helps to train those ‘centering’ muscles in a correct and controlled manner. Training the abdominal muscles can help with keeping the core tight and stable which helps in day to day life.
This isn’t one to be afraid of and it’s always good to push yourself with these exercises but remember to breathe! Getting this exercise right and practising it regularly will help with all your other Pilates exercises.
- Pilates rest position with your hands interconnected and placed behind the top of the neck to support the head. Elbows slightly lifted away from the floor, shoulders drawn down and in.
- INHALE and lengthen the back of your neck.
- EXHALE, slide your ribcage downwards towards your waist to lift your head, neck and shoulders off the mat.
- INHALE to hold.
- EXHALE and lower to the mat.
- Think of lifting and lowering your body from the ribcage and not the head or neck.
- Maintain the neutral spine position.
- Do not allow your lower abdominals to dome.
Enjoy this months exercise!
Rosie, Sports & Rehabilitation Therapist and Pilates Instructor