Every year around 80% of runners will develop a running related injury – these are often caused by inefficient techniques, muscle imbalances, poor training habits and incorrect footwear. Here at goPhysio, we want to keep runners running so our expert physiotherapists are here to help!
Our Running Rehab service is designed for runners of all levels so whether you’re starting out with the ‘Couch to 5K’ or you’re a seasoned marathon runner; if you have a niggling injury that is affecting your running we can help. We can also offer training and technique guidance for those that are new to running, returning after a long break or are struggling to get past a certain mileage.
The Running Rehab assessment includes:
- A detailed history of your injury, training programme and goals
- Comprehensive lower limb strength and flexibility assessment to look for muscle imbalances
- Running assessment on a treadmill with slow motion video analysis and feedback
- Personalised recovery plan which may include strength and conditioning exercises, running drills, training programme or integrated physiotherapy follow up for specific injury management
Common running conditions that we see include:
- Achilles tendonopathy
- Plantar Fascitiis
- Shin splints
- Anterior knee pain or Runners Knee
- Hamstring/ITB pain
Should I book Running Rehab or a Physio Appointment?
If you can still run at least 1km we would recommend the Running Rehab service as your first port of call for the most comprehensive assessment, however if your pain is stopping your running completely its best to start with normal physiotherapy assessment and treatment until the pain settles. All of our services are integrated so there’s no problem transferring between services, in fact that’s the best way to ensure a full recovery.
The slow-motion video allows us to look at your running style from top to toe, and whilst there is no one perfect technique, it does allow us to easily identify subtle movement dysfunctions or imbalances that are hard to perceive at normal speed. These imbalances can often lead to inefficiencies and even injury in a repetitive sport like running. You will be given instant feedback on how to correct your running style with simple cues and running drills. Together with your injury history this helps us develop an individual personalised recovery programme for you to resolve your injury and improve your running performance.
Benefits of Running Rehab
- Speeds up recovery from injury
- Get back to running as soon as possible
- Confidence to progress running in the knowledge that you are not causing more damage
- Comprehensive plan to improve running efficiency, performance, strengthen areas of weakness to help prevent future injuries
- Achieve your running goals!