Pilates classes are a big part of what we offer here at goPhysio in Chandlers Ford. However, the Pilates classes we run at goPhysio are a little different to others you may experience in the area. Our Pilates is in essence ‘Clinical Pilates’.
Clinical Pilates is different to a traditional class you may attend at the gym or local hall.
Clinical (or Rehabilitation) Pilates has been specifically developed for use by clinically trained professionals, so physiotherapists or Sports Therapists. All of our instructors are either Charted Physiotherapists or Graduate Sports Therapists and are trained by the Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute (APPI), which is the world leader in clinical Pilates.
Clinical Pilates exercises work to target the deep postural muscles of the tummy and spine. They also help improve spinal mobility, increase flexibility of the key trunk and leg muscle groups and improve body and postural awareness. The classes help increase awareness of your body and improve your movement quality and control. This type of Pilates is particularly suitable for you if you suffer with back or neck pain or have suffered a specific injury or have a long standing condition such as arthritis. It is also a great way of preventing injuries or preparing for sport.
People who come along to our Pilates classes tend to fall into one of 5 categories:
- They’ve had an injury and have been seeing us for Physiotherapy or Sports Therapy. Once they are nearing recovery, they start with Pilates to both continue their recovery and help improve their physical ability to stop the injury coming back.
- They have been advised to start Pilates by another health care practitioner (e.g. Consultant or GP) and want to join a specialist Clinically led class to make sure they have the right support in the class and adequately experienced Instructor, who is specifically trained and qualified to manage a health related condition.
- They’ve suffered with back or neck pain (or other injuries) on and off for years and have heard Pilates is great to stop it re-occurring (which it definitely is!).
- They’ve been to another Pilates class elsewhere but felt that the class size was too big and they weren’t getting enough attention or support from the instructor. We even have people who’ve picked up an injury at other classes from doing Pilates incorrectly or without the right support.
- They’ve just heard wonderful things about Pilates and want to experience the benefits too in a friendly, supportive environment!
As our instructors are also Physiotherapist or Graduate Sports Therapists, you always have ‘on hand’ expertise ready to share their knowledge and advice at every class. They have such an extensive knowledge of the human body and also injury, so can tailor each class to the individual needs and make sure you really get the most out of it for you. The classes only ever have a maximum of 11 participants, so you are always under the watchful eye to make sure you’re doing the exercises correctly and be progressed when needed.
There is a real skill in getting the Pilates exercises right and this needs concentration, guidance and attention.
Take a look at our class timetable to see the classes we run at goPhysio.
Questions we’re often asked about our classes
How many people come to the Pilates classes? The numbers for each class are strictly limited to a maximum of 11, however the classes are often smaller than this. This is to ensure that we maintain a high quality class, with the instructor being able to give sufficient attention & support to each individual.
How do I book onto a Pilates class? You can find out all you need to know about joining our Pilates classes here. Alternatively, If you are currently attending goPhysio, chat to your Clinician or our Reception team, who can provide further information for you.
Why do I need a 1-2-1 before I start Pilates? We do advocate that if you haven’t seen us at goPhysio before you have a 30 minute 1-to-1 pilates session, before joining a class. This will enable our Pilates Instructor to help you to get 110% out of your Pilates! This is normal procedure for anyone starting a Clinical Pilates course and are free to those looking to join our classes. This is free of charge, so just call us on 023 8025 3317 to book this or you can book it online here.