We regularly like to share with you a different Pilates exercise to practice and focus on, as recommended by one of our Pilates Instructors. Today, Roz recommends Shoulder Bridge Level 2.
The is an excellent exercise incorporating both mobility and strength elements. The roll up into the bridge position addresses segmental movement and control of the spine, working both the deep abdominal muscles and the glutes. These muscles are then challenged to a higher level by lifting one leg from the floor whilst maintaining a level pelvis and spinal position. By rolling up and down between each leg lift it ensures you don’t over work the larger back muscles and ensures the segmental movement is maintained. You can start this exercise by staying on two feet throughout and then build up to lifting one leg off.
Start Position: Lie on your back with your knees bent up in the Pilates Rest Position. Legs hip width apart, shoulders drawn down and in and your neck long. Centre Engaged.
- Breath in to prepare
- Breath out and roll into shoulder bridge position
- Breath in and hold shoulder bridge position
- Breath out and length your left leg forwards, reaching for the wall infant of you
- Breath in and fold this leg back to the mat to resume the shoulder bridge position
- Breath out and lower the shoulder bridge
- Repeat alternating legs and allowing your spine to return to the mat in between shoulder bridges
Repeat alternating legs and allowing your spine to return to the mat in between shoulder bridges.
If you’d like to join us for any Pilates online, take a look at the range of options we have for you here.
Enjoy this month’s exercise! Roz, Physiotherapist & Pilates Instructor