A new report from the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), titled Moving Forward: Physiotherapy for Musculoskeletal Health and Wellbeing, has highlighted how effective physiotherapy is at improving outcomes for MSK conditions.
MSK or musculoskeletal conditions, are those that affect the bones, joints and muscles of the body, like back pain, arthritis, sprains, strains and overuse injuries. These conditions have a huge impact on our daily lives and it’s what our team at goPhysio specialise in managing. Musculoskeletal conditions are the leading cause of pain and disability in the UK, affecting more than one in four people. The evidence coming out of Moving Forward: Physiotherapy for Musculoskeletal Health and Wellbeing highlights the importance of physiotherapy for treating these conditions.
This review presents evidence from a range of physiotherapy-related studies. Data from these studies shows the beneficial impact physiotherapy has on a range of MSK conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, chronic knee joint pain and low back pain.
The key findings show that:
- There is overwhelming evidence that exercise and activity are effective and should be a core treatment in musculoskeletal pain.
- A rehabilitation programme including targeted exercise, is effective at reducing knee joint pain.
- Investment in high quality rehabilitation adapted to individual patient needs, leads to better outcomes, reduces the need for further investigations and treatment, such as surgery or joint injections.
- Work absences can be reduced by an average of five days when people receive advice on low back pain from physios.
- Stretching and strengthening hand exercises can improve function for people with rheumatoid arthritis.
Make exercise a core treatment
The key message from the review is that there is overwhelming evidence that exercise and activity are effective for musculoskeletal pain. This is something that is fully integrated into our care at goPhysio.
- When you see one of our Physio’s or Sports Therapists, you will always be given a customised exercise programme to help support your recovery. This will be emailed to you along with explanatory videos and/or pictures, so that you have access to the exercises and are confident what you should be doing in between your appointments.
- We aim to keep you as active as possible whilst you recover from your injury. We offer solutions and alternatives to balance your recovery with staying active wherever possible. We rarely advocate complete rest!
- We offer a comprehensive, specialist exercise-rehabilitation. Led by our Sports Therapy team, you will have the option to come along to supervised small group rehab sessions, where evidence based exercise is used to optimise your recovery and prevent long term issues. Read more about our exercise-rehab/rehab service.
- We also offer a range of specialist Clinical Pilates classes clinical-pilates which help build long term strength, flexibility and durability. A fantastic way to help recovery, manage long term MSK conditions and ward off injuries.
Our whole ethos here at goPhysio is “Helping local people live a healthy, active, positive life, free from pain & injury”, so it’s great to hear what we are doing and the way we work is supported by the last research.